This article is a part of an ongoing series featuring tips and ideas I have found that have inspired me on my personal weight loss journey. I hope they do the same for you ~Meir Liraz.
Introducing Our New FREE Diet App:
The 'Healthy Weight Loss Planner' app is a simple yet extremely effective weight loss tool that will make it easy for you to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way. Now you can not just drop the pounds but also make sure they stay off.
The app uses a simple 3 step strategy to help you lose weight fast and healthy. Featuring a set of useful tools, including: body fat calculator, calorie needs calculator, daily diet planner and more, ...and best of all, it is completely free, no strings attached.
Use the diet planner now. Click Here to access and use the Online Healthy Weight Loss Planner for free .
The single most critical mistake dieters do is setting unrealistic goals. In order to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way you should aim to subtract no more than 500 to 1000 calories daily, this translates into losing about 1 to 2 pounds a week respectively (about 0.5kg to 1kg).
Keep in mind that setting realistic goals and tracking your progress are key to your success. Research has shown that those who keep track of their behaviors are more likely to take off weight. As a matter of fact, setting unrealistic diet goals is the main reason most diets fail. You want to develop lifestyle habits that will help you maintain your weight in a healthy range. A short-term "diet" that you "go on" and then "go off" is not the answer to long-term weight management.
Now here are some more tips to help you with your weight loss efforts:
1. To make a delicious low fat mayonnaise simply combine one teaspoon Dijon mustard or one teaspoon Satay sauce with low fat yogurt.
2. Avoid skipping meals. Eating increases your metabolism, thus skipping meals can 'trick' your body into slowing down its metabolism in an attempt to conserve calories during a period it perceives as a situation where limited fuel is available.
3. Stuffing vegetables such as capsicum and zucchini with tasty fillings of mince chicken, meat or tuna are easy to do and very healthy and low fat.
4. Pita bread roll ups or wraps with salad fillings, are great for picnics, school lunches or to take to work.
5. Exercise, exercise, exercise! Exercise increases your metabolism and burning off excess fat. When is the best time to exercise? Our metabolism slows down about 8 hours after we wake up, so 30 minutes of exercise in the evening, before dinner will increase your metabolism for about two to three more hours just when it was starting to slow down. This produces a significant increase in fat burned off, even after the exercise is over.
6. Adding alfalfa or Mung beans to your salad brings in extra iron.
7. Good cooking and healthy eating begins with learning about nutrition and how to prepare healthy recipes.
8. Plan the week's family menus in advance and just purchase those ingredients at a once weekly shopping trip.
9. Be positive! The more you feel good about yourself the easier and faster it is to lose weight.
10. Learn how to make over family favorite recipes by cutting out fats, salt and sugar. Substitute non fat yogurt for cream, stir fry minus oil and use herbs and spices instead of salt for flavor.
11. Please consult your doctor before beginning an exercise or weight loss program.
12. Eat slowly and chew each bite completely to decrease your appetite.
13. Eat three small meals and two snacks daily instead of two or three huge meals.
14. It's a myth that you need oil to stir fry! Use chicken stock instead and cut down on hidden fat.
15. There is more fat in a plate of toasted muesli than a plate of bacon and eggs! Purchase non-toasted muesli instead.
16. Avoid removing the skins of fruits and vegetables - most of the nutrients are concentrated just under the skin.
17. Hot water with a squeeze of lemon before breakfast get the metabolism going for the day, helps prevent constipation and is excellent for the skin.
18. The best source of vegetable protein is from soya beans or tofu. All legumes provide some protein, so include lentils, Lima beans etc into casseroles and soups.
19. Find a weight loss "buddy," club, or support group. This will help you stay with your weight loss program.
20. Though difficult, try not eating 3 hours or more before bed time.
21. Cut up a whole watermelon and leave it in the fridge to snack on over a few days. it is sweet, juicy, yummy and filling. it really has helped me because when I go to the fridge looking for something when i see the watermelon it stops me having something more calorie laden. having it handy so that it is just as easy to eat as a biscuit or whatever makes the world of difference. eating at night time is my downfall too. I can't just not eat at night so I allow for it in my daily eating. I have those 97% fat free rice crackers and/or fruit or air popped popcorn. for me I just can't not eat at night time. I find I don't sleep very well if I go from dinner time to breakfast without anything. Although we do eat dinner very early (around 6:00) because we like to eat with the kids. I think it is best to know your weaknesses and try to work around them. also, I don't think it can be said too many times - drinking water makes all the difference.
22. Make pasta your fast food choice - you can prepare a pasta meal and salad in 10-12 minutes.
23. Chili helps to speed up metabolism - even the milder varieties.
24. Omelets can be made just using egg whites! A dramatic reduction in fat.
25. Limit salt in cooking. Other names for salt include baking soda, baking powder, MSG and soya sauce.
26. For low fat gravy, drop ice cubes into the baking tray. Fat will stick to the ice cubes and can then be removed.
27. Chew sugarless gum. It speeds up the digestive system, burning more calories, and sometimes kills a craving.
28. Drinking hot water as appose to cold water can increase the speed of your metabolism and burn more calories.
29. Make casseroles the day before use. Refrigerate and skim fat from the top before re-heating.
30. Always eat before you go food shopping and always prepare a shopping list. Only purchase food which relates to your weekly menu plan and don't be tempted to buy goodies.
My personal story...
Here's the simple weight loss method that works best for me:
As we all know, In order to lose weight we need to create a “calorie deficit”. What that means is, we must eat less calories than our body burns in a day. There's no way around it.
To utilize this method I use a free app called: "Healthy Weight Loss Planner", you can install it to your android phone or tablet from here, or if you don't have an android device you can access the online version here. (by the way, I developed this app myself for my own needs and make it available for all to use for free).
Now here's how this simple system works:
After installing or accessing the app online follow these three steps:
First: Use the 'BMI Calculator' to check your Body Mass Index (an indicator of body fat), and see where it fits within the BMI categories.
Second: use the 'Daily Calorie Needs Calculator' to determine the number of calories needed each day to maintain your current weight.
Third: use the 'Daily Diet Planner tool' to set a daily calorie target and construct a daily food plan to fit your target (and your diet's food discipline). Now obviously you need your target calorie intake to be less than your daily calories needs. How much less? Aim to subtract 500 to 1000 calories daily, this translates into losing about 1 to 2 pounds a week respectively (about 0.5kg to 1kg).
For example: if your daily caloric needs are 2200, and you want to lose 2 pounds (1kg) per week, your daily calorie target should be 1200. Once you achieve your goal, you can revert to a target of 2200 to maintain your desired weight.
A pace of 1 to 2 pounds a week will allow you to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way. Keep in mind that setting realistic goals and tracking your progress are key to your success. Research has shown that those who keep track of their behaviors are more likely to take off weight. As a matter of fact, setting unrealistic diet goals is the main reason most diets fail. You want to develop lifestyle habits that will help you maintain your weight in a healthy range. A short-term "diet" that you "go on" and then "go off" is not the answer to long-term weight management.
Note that the app sports a database featuring more than 400, mostly non-processed foods. The variety of foods allows you to construct food plans that adhere to any diet rout you decide to take. With this app you will be able to construct a food plan that fits perfectly with your specific diet discipline. Enjoy!
Copyright © by Healthy Weight Loss. All rights reserved.